The Necklace
by Guy de Maupassant
www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/Neck.shtml
Suitability: Age 13 to adult, mother tongue or EAL.
Questions are divided into three rough categories:
1. Literal
2. Inferential
3. Evaluative
4. Extension Work


1.1 What is the meaning of the following words in the context in which they appear:
   a) Clerks  (top page 1)
   b) Dowry  (top page 1)
   c) Gallantries  (bottom page 1)
   d) Inscrutable  (bottom page 1)
   e) Resentfully  (middle page 2)
   f) Whole  (middle page 2)
   g) Usurers  (top page 6)

1.2 Why did M. Loisel expect his wife to be pleased to receive the invitation from the Minister of Education?

1.3 Describe Mme Loisel's reaction on reading the invitation.

1.4 Why had M. Loisel been saving 400 Francs?

1.5 Compare and contrast the life of Mme Lebrun before and after the disappearance of the necklace.

1.6 Why was Mme Loisel anxious to hurry away from the ball?

1.7 What efforts were made to find Mme Forestier's necklace?

1.8 Describe in your own words how the Loisels' life changed after they had paid for the new necklace.

1.9 How did Mme Forestier recognize Mme Loisel when they met in the Champs-Elysees?

1.10 What was Mme Forestier's reaction when the necklace was returned?


Always give reasons for your answers.

2.1 Do you think Mme Loisel recognized good quality jewellery?

2.2 Why was Mathilde unhappy with her life at the opening of the story?

2.3 Do you think M. Loisel enjoyed the ball?

2.4 Why were the Loisels allowed to buy the new necklace for less than the asking price?

2.5 Before the last few lines of this story, are there any clues given by the author which hint at the true cause of the baby's appearance?

2.6 Why do you think Mme Forestier never contacted Mme Loiser after the 'return' of her necklace?

2.7 Do you think M. Loisel was content with his life before the ball took place?

2.8 How did M. Loisel contribute to the cost of the new necklace?


3.1 Do you agree with the author that "Women don't belong to a caste or class" (top page 1) Today, surely, the same applies to men?

3.2 Write a different end to the story, assuming that either Mme Loisel never lost the necklace or that she found the necklace.

3.3 How far do you think force of character affects our lives? Do you think it would be easier for a young, married woman to fulfil her dreams today?

3.4 Discuss whether the Loisels chose the right course of action when they found the necklace was missing? What other choices were open to them and why were these not chosen?

3.5 Do you think there is a moral to this story?


4.1 Write a play based on this story.

4.2 Create a board game based on this story.

4.3 Draw a strip cartoon representing the moment Mme Loisir noticed Mme Forestier in the Champs-Elysees to the moment they parted.
 Questions by Jane Quest