Cover Image
David Dumouriez
Appointment at 10:30

'Bloody hell!' said Detective Constable Bright. 'It's a minefield!'

     'There's more …' replied Detective Sergeant Dawes with a grimace.

 

*

     REJECTION FROM 'PRETTY FILTH'

     26-day response time

     Dear Rex Healy,

     Thanks for allowing us to read "Appointment at 10.30". Sorry to say that we're going to pass this time around.

     Thanks again and take care.

     Sincerely,

     The Pretty Filth Team

     *

     REJECTION FROM 'LEMON SKY JOURNAL'

     41-day response time

     Dear Rex,

     Thank you for sending us "Appointment at 10.30". We are honored that you considered our journal as a potential home for your writing. Unfortunately, it is not a good fit for us. Best of luck placing this elsewhere. We hope you will continue to support our journal in the future.

     Best wishes,

     Mariel E. Ricketts, Editor

     *

     REJECTION FROM 'CHEAP & CHEERFUL MAG'

     3-hour response time

 

Rex,

     Thanks a bunch for sending "Appointment at 10.30"! I appreciated the dark undertone, but I have to say that, overall, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

 

Wishing you the best of luck with your writing,

     Shane Maxwell

     *

     REJECTION FROM 'KISS THE RAIN REVIEW'

     87-day response time

 

Dear Rex Healy,

     Thank you for trusting us with your work. We appreciated the opportunity to consider 'Appointment at 10.30', but have decided not to accept it for publication.

     Please wait at least six months before submitting any further material.

     Regards,

     Amy Esposito

     Fiction Editor

     *

     REJECTION FROM 'SCHADENFREUDE QUARTERLY'

<  2  >

     133-day response time

 

Dear Rex:

     Thanks for giving us the opportunity to consider "Appointment at 10.30" for Schadenfreude. Due to the high volume of submissions we receive, we regret that we aren't able to respond to each submission personally. Unfortunately, your piece isn't the best fit for our upcoming issue and so we're passing.

     All the best,

     Terence Winfield

     *

 

'Poor bugger!' DC Bright exclaimed.

     *

     REJECTION FROM 'DOCTOR POSSUM'S AMAZING TRAVELING ROADSHOW'

     64-day response time

     Dear RQS Healy,

     Many thanks for sending'Appointment at 10.30'. Sadly, we've decided to pass.

     Doctor Possum's Amazing Traveling Roadshow welcomes general submissions of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry from the 1st to the 15th every month, except January, during which we only accept entries for the Doctor Possum Prizes. We ask that submissions of fiction and nonfiction be between 2,500 and 8,500 words in length. For poetry, please submit a set of 3-5 poems. There is no restriction on subject matter but material which relies heavily on depictions of sex, violence or drug abuse will not be considered. Similarly, we ask that writers refrain from the use of language which is designed primarily to shock.

     We are happy to consider simultaneous submissions, but please notify us as quickly as possible if your work has been accepted elsewhere.

     As mentioned above, the Doctor Possum Prizes in Fiction, Nonfiction & Poetry accept entries from January 1st to January 31st. Submit short stories and nonfiction of up to 5,000 words or up to 3 poems. Winners in each genre receive $500 and publication.

     Doctor Possum's Amazing Traveling Roadshow is proud to receive work from writers of all creeds, colors and orientations.

     All best,

     The Editors,

     Doctor Possum's Amazing Travelling Roadshow

<  3  >

     *

     DC Bright looked at DS Dawes. DS Dawes looked at DC Bright.

     'And so it goes on …' Bob Bright said.

     'He certainly documented it meticulously,' Jim Dawes replied.

     'Honestly, you'd just give up, wouldn't you?'

     'I would.'

     *

     REJECTION FROM 'SCUTTLEFISH PRESS'

     32-day response time

     Dear RQS Healy,

     Thank you very much for sending "Appointment at 10.30", which I have to say I found really rather moving and unusual. I was especially impressed by the subtlety of the characterisation, which certainly confounded my expectations! Ultimately, though, I've decided not to publish, simply because "Appointment at 10.30" is on a similar theme to a story that I've already accepted for the next issue.

     I do hope, though, that you will consider Scuttlefish again in the future, as I'd be interested to see more of your work.

     Kind Regards,

     S.T. McKenna

     *

     'Good on yer, mate!' DC Bright clenched his fist and was about to pump it until a combination of embarrassment and Jim Dawes's face stopped him.

     DS Dawes shook his head. 'I never knew there were so many of these magazines. Magazines, journals, reviews. Who reads 'em?'

     'Dunno. Don't get it really.'

     'Only one I've ever heard of is Manhattan Magazine. Don't know any in this country.'

     'Everyone knows Manhattan Magazine. Never read it, mind.'

     DS Dawes stuck out his lower lip in contemplation. Then he just shrugged his shoulders.

     'Oh Jeez, guv. Look at this one …'

     *

     REJECTION FROM 'BIRD THOU NEVER WERT'

     18-day response time

     Thank you for sending your work to BTNW.

<  4  >

     No sense beating around the bush. This is exactly the kind of story that I'm allergic to. You select a subject matter because you think it's fashionable and then you proceed to beat it to death with all the modern writerly tropes.

     George

     *

     'Oh …' said Dawes.

     'Maybe this was the one that tipped him over the edge.'

     'We'll never know for sure. But I think it's clear what we're looking at here. These writers' types are pretty highly strung.'

     Bob Bright grinned. 'Saw what you did there, guv. Highly strung.'

     Dawes winked. 'I feel sorry for his mother, though.'

     'Yeah, nice woman.'

     'I couldn't tell her that the doc estimated the time of death to have been around 10.30.'

     Bright shook his head and winced.

     *

     ACCEPTANCE FROM 'MANHATTAN MAGAZINE'

     108-day (posthumous) response time

     Dear RQS Healy,

     We are delighted to inform you …

If you liked this story, please share it with others:
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
Options
- View Comments
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
SHARE
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious

Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
SHARE
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious

Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
Options
- View Comments
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
Rate This Story
StarStarStarStarStar

View And Add Comments
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious
Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
Related Stories: