Cover Image
John D. Connelley
Laura the Gravedigger

Laura lived in a small, stone cottage that sat nestled just outside the small village's cemetery. When people of the village died, they were brought to her, the local minister performed a ceremony, and then the bodies were left. Then, at midnight, Laura would begin digging. Even when people passed away in the bitter winter, she would still only start digging at midnight. It would just take a little longer.

     Laura used to wonder if all this planting of bodies would ever make anything grow. Then, one night, just as she finished a grave, she found it did. As she was gently patting the mound of soil with the back of her spade on the newly finished grave, she felt a light tapping on her left shoulder. She turned slowly and saw the outline of a slightly glowing figure.

     "Are you the gardener?" the specter asked in a faint whisper.

     "No," said Laura, her eyes widening, "I'm the gravedigger."

     "I was looking for the one who planted us. Are you sure you are not her?" asked the specter.

     "Planted you? No, I buried you," said Laura. Then she remembered how she used to think about how putting the bodies in the soil was like planting huge seeds. She used to have dreams of strange plants growing out of the soil, draping themselves around the tombstones. She had not had those dreams in a long time or even thought about the bodies as being huge seeds.

     "You must be her," insisted the specter, "You are the only one here who could have planted us."

 

Laura wondered how the specter could have known her thoughts from so long ago. "You were not planted, you were buried. You are dead," Laura told the glowing specter.

     "But we have sprouted. We have grown. We are here," stated the specter.

     Through the trees and shrubs surrounding the cemetery, Laura saw more faintly glowing figures approaching.

     "We are here to thank you," said the specter, "You have given us life."

<  2  >

     "No, you died. I have given you a grave. You must stay there," Laura pleaded as she watched more and more glowing figures draw near.

     "We were there, in the soil, now we have grown up. Are you not happy?" asked the specter.

     "Yes. That makes me happy," she lied, "What do you want?"

     "To thank you. We all want to thank you," said the specter, kneeling in deference.

     The throng of glowing specters had now surrounded Laura, kneeling as they encircled her.

     "How do you wish to thank me," asked Laura nervously, looking around at all the softly glowing, smiling faces.

     "By giving you to the earth as you have done for us," said the specter. "But you must prepare the earth to receive you, for we cannot."

     "Dig…my own grave?" exhaled Laura.

     "Yes, so that you may grow and enjoy eternity with us," said the specter, rising with the others to their feet.

     Laura slowly dug her own grave and, when finished, lay down inside. The specters gathered around and smiled deeply at her. She closed her eyes as it began to rain lightly.

     The next morning, the minister came to inform Laura that the cemetery was to be closed because it was deemed too full. He was to explain that a deal had been struck with a neighboring village that had a huge tract of cleared land for a new, larger cemetery. He searched for Laura for quite some time, but all he found was a freshly dug grave with a spade placed where the tombstone should be.

If you liked this story, please share it with others:
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
Options
- View Comments
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
SHARE
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious

Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
SHARE
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious

Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
Options
- View Comments
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
Rate This Story
StarStarStarStarStar

View And Add Comments
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious
Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
Related Stories: