Cover Image
Helena Phonse
The Joy One Shadow Made

The tale of King Twilight and his two daughters happened a long time ago. They ruled over a stunning northern country named Celeste. King Twilight was a kind and fair ruler, and his daughters, Princess Dawn, and Flourish, were gracious and compassionate to their subjects. Everyday, the peoples of Celeste would gather and ask the royal family special favours.

     When King Twilight, Dawn, or Flourish looked up into the sky, something peculiar but marvelous happened. The people were amazed and knew they lived in a very special, charming country like none other in the whole world.

     Celeste, meaning "heavenly," was well known for its impressive northern night skies. Tourists from all over the globe would visit Celeste just to see its splendor.

     Every night, when the townsfolk were tired, they would come to their gentle ruler and ask King Twilight to look heavenward. Every time he did something fantastic happened. The sky would turn black, and the moon and stars would appear, glimmering down on the earth below, shedding light on the path where the subjects walked. The townspeople never grew tired of this gift King Twilight had. They loved and cherished his talent.

 

Having the stars and moon come out wasn't the only gift the royals possessed. Next, when the subjects were under the northern starlit skies, they would come to his daughter, Princess Dawn. Her talent was what the visitors of Celeste traveled far and wide just to admire.

     Whenever Dawn would look up, the northern night sky would be painted gorgeous colours, as a fantastic light show appeared. Shades of green, blue, and purple danced up above, drowning out the stars. The townsfolk were in awe of Princess Dawn's gift, and the tourists from near and far applauded her fantastic talent. They would stay up all night just to watch it.

     Not to be outdone, though, King Twilight's other daughter, Princess Flourish, had a talent too. But it was very different from her father's and sister's.

     When Flourish looked up, no twinkling stars or shining moon appeared. No wonderful light show drenched the night sky with gorgeous colors. Instead, her talent had nothing to do with the heavens above, and sightseers did not come to Celeste just to see her gift.

<  2  >

     As a child, it was hard for Princess Flourish as the other children would tease her because she had no control of the skies, and her name had nothing to do with the heavens. Living in a country known for its heavenly, celestial beauty, Flourish didn't understand why her talent was so different.

     But King Twilight knew she had other skills, not quite like his or Dawn's. By naming Flourish something other than what the sky had to offer, he let his daughter find her own creativity and unique talent.

     Many of Celeste's townsfolk worked outside every day harvesting wheat in the fields. They toiled under the intense sun that beat down on their heads. So, King Twilight brought Flourish to visit them at work one day. He knew that on their lunch break, the workers needed somewhere to relax.

     King Twilight had Flourish sit down beside them and asked her to look up high into the sky. Listening to her father, she gazed upwards, and immediately, a tree shot up into the baby blue skies above Princess Flourish and the workers. The tree was full of pretty pink flowers that filled the air with a sweet, pleasant smell.

     Fascinating to the people, they loved Flourish's unique talent, and they sat in the shadow of the tree, enjoying the much-needed shade. Flourish, seeing the joy one shadow made, now realized she didn't need to have the same talent as her father did or even that of her sister. She was loved for what she could do.

     Since then, the workers gathered beside Flourish every lunchtime and would wait for her to look up. Once she did, a lovely, flourishing tree grew, and they would all joyfully sit under its shadow, taking cover from the powerful sun and delighting in the shade.

     King Twilight was very proud of both of his daughters and for some time, he tried to name the wonderful gifts they had. One day, he asked the people of Celeste what they should call Dawn's and Flourish's abilities. The people thought about it, and when they decided, they called Dawn's talent aurora. And for Flourish, they decided to call her gift blossom.

<  3  >

     King Twilight agreed with the townspeople as he wanted Princess Dawn's and Flourish's legacy to last forever. So, down to this day, when a child is named Aurora, it means "dawn," and when the name Blossom is picked, it means "to flourish." Now, with the good King's final wish granted, his daughter's legacies were remembered forever in time.

If you liked this story, please share it with others:
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
Options
- View Comments
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
SHARE
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious

Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
SHARE
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious

Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
Options
- View Comments
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
Rate This Story
StarStarStarStarStar

View And Add Comments
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious
Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
Related Stories: