Cover Image
Martina Bexte
A New Sunrise

Maggie Shepard heard her phone ringing as she stepped through the front door. Ignoring it and the message light dancing on her machine she put away her few groceries and headed straight for the soaker tub. After a hectic work week, she needed to decompress in a steamy, rose-scented bath, followed by a decadent meal. And most of all, an entire weekend alone, without interruptions or phone calls.

     An hour later Maggie headed to the kitchen, refreshed and ravenous. She was about to dial Mario's and order her favorite pizza, when the phone rang – again. She scowled, hoping it wasn't Cynthia. Ever since Maggie's divorce, her well-meaning friend encouraged her to embrace spontaneity, go out on the town at a moment's notice and for once, have some fun.

     Not tonight. She loved Cynthia like a sister, but unlike her friend, Maggie wasn't good at spontaneity, especially after this past work week.

     The phone kept ringing and Maggie finally answered on the tenth ring.

     "Hello, Mrs. Shepard? I'm glad I caught up with you. I've been leaving messages all day."

     Maggie scowled at the red light still blinking away on her machine.

     "Mrs. Shepard? Are you still there?"

     Not in the mood to chat with a complete stranger who was likely soliciting some unwanted product and equally unwilling to explain that, no, technically she wasn't Mrs. Shepard anymore, Maggie decided to dial back her aggravation and listen to what the persistent woman had to say.

     "Yes. How can I help you? Is there some sort of problem?"

     "Oh, good heaven's no. My name is Beatrice Klassen, the new proprietor of the Blue Sky Inn. I noticed that you and your husband are regulars and I'm calling to check if you'll be visiting us again this Labor Day long weekend, as you have for the past ten years."

<  2  >

     Oh, God, Maggie thought, she'd forgotten about the Blue Sky Inn. She and Brad had fallen in love with the place during their honeymoon and agreed to make it their yearly anniversary destination.

     "Are you still there?"

     "Yes, I'm sorry."

     "One last item and I'll let you get a word in edgewise. Guests have been asking if they might bring their pets so I've decided to list the Blue Sky Inn as a pet friendly destination. Would having the odd dog or cat around bother you or your husband?"

     "No, no, of course not. I – that is we – love animals." Maggie couldn't believe it. Why had she just said "we"?

     "Wonderful! Shall I confirm your reservation for the Labor Day long weekend?"

     Maggie vacillated rather than cancelling outright. Honoring the reservation was simply too painful, stirred up unwanted memories, ones she'd been working hard to put behind her.

     "I'm afraid I'll have to cancel, Mrs. Klassen."

     "Oh, dear. How unfortunate. Were you in any way dissatisfied with your last stay?"

     "No, not at all, I love the inn, but you see my husband and I recently divorced."

     "Ah, I see. So sorry to hear it. If you wish, I could do some juggling, put you into a single suite, no sense wasting your deposit. Think about it and let me know by Monday."

     **********

     "Of course you're going," Cynthia pointed out the next day after successfully convincing Maggie into a girlfriend's night out. "You love the Blue Sky Inn. Don't let what Brad did keep you away. Think of it as the weekend that marks the beginning of the rest of your life, of rediscovering yourself. It's not like you couldn't use a vacation. You've been working way too hard, girlfriend!"

<  3  >

     Maggie pushed aside her wine glass. "I don't know, Cyn. A weekend alone? I haven't done that, well, ever!"

     Cynthia cast her the scowl she'd perfected dealing with argumentative junior high students. "It's time you did something for yourself. If it doesn't feel right, then head home. If I didn't have plans I'd go with you, but my plane tickets are non-refundable."

     "You're sweet, but it won't work. I promised Rob I'd get a head start on the monthly inventory and the extra money will come in handy. Brad may have handed over half our assets but that didn't amount to more than the small down payment for my condo and…."

     Cynthia interrupted. "Can you pay next month's mortgage without counting on that overtime pay?"

     "Yes, but…"

     "Then go! Money isn't everything. I doubt Brad was thinking about a single penny all those times he snuck off with his girlfriend."

     Maggie couldn't argue the point. Brad admitted his affair and agreed to a quick settlement. She still couldn't believe she hadn't suspected a thing until it was too late, still believed they could have salvaged their marriage, her vows were that important to her. Brad however, had wanted nothing more than a swift and "painless" divorce so he could get on with his life.

     Cynthia's voice snapped Maggie back to the present. "You're doing it again, dwelling on the past and the "what if's". Call Rob right now and ask for the long weekend off."

     "I don't know, Cyn."

     "Do you want me to do it? You know I will."

     Maggie knew her friend never backed down. She and Rob Matheson had dated and remained close friends.

     "Fine. I'll call him. But he'll probably say no."

<  4  >

     "There you go again with the negative assumptions. Once you explain everything he'll give you the time off."

     Maggie took another sip of her wine and smiled at Cynthia. With friends like Cynthia it was simpler to just give in.

     **********

     Maggie negotiated the winding coastal highway with more ease than she anticipated. Brad always drove while she took care of all the other details, including their "special" picnic menu. As the sun set over the ocean they'd stopped at their special spot and spent hours talking about their hopes, dreams and plans for the future.

     All of it a painful memory now. Maggie blinked away the last remnants and swiped at a threatening tear, realizing she'd passed their old picnic spot long ago. So much for old habits. Cynthia was right. It was time to start nurturing new ones.

     Less than an hour later, Beatrice Klassen showed Maggie to her room, keeping up a running commentary as she fluffed the down comforter one last time. "Tonight's sunset was glorious, wasn't it? I've lived along this stretch of the coast my entire life and every one still takes my breath away, and there's plenty more where those come from! The weatherman is calling for a clear and sunny long weekend."

     She turned and busied herself rearranging a vase overflowing with wild flowers. "That should do it. If there's anything else you need, just ring the desk."

     "Thanks, but I wouldn't dream of it. It's close to midnight. I'm amazed you waited up for me."

     Mrs. Klassen laughed. "That's my job, dear. Besides, old folks like me don't need a lot of sleep." She headed for the door. "And while you're here, call me Bea. I insist."

     Maggie nodded. "Sure, but only if you call me Maggie."

     "Breakfast is served at eight sharp. Come on time or miss out on the best coffee and waffles this side of paradise." About to step into the hallway, she turned back. "I almost forgot, you've an upstairs neighbor and he's an early riser. He brought his dog, just so you aren't too startled if you happen to encounter them in the hallway. Good night, dear."

<  5  >

     Maggie woke bright eyed and refreshed, eager for a walk along the beach before breakfast. Twenty minutes later, she navigated the well-worn path leading to a sparkling stretch of sand. In the early morning light, it glimmered like a million diamonds and appeared to go on forever.

     She stepped off the path and onto the sand, giving in to a sudden urge to go barefoot. She reveled the feeling of the cool sand squeezing between her toes, and began running, her long hair billowing in the breeze.

     She raced around a sand dune and spotted a man sitting alone on a solitary rock, staring out onto the glassy sea. Even from far away he looked imposing. She wondered who he was. Perhaps her neighbor, the early riser?

     Maggie was so engrossed in watching him, she didn't notice the dog come barreling out of the surf until he was almost upon her. With a happy bark the black and white collie leapt up and planted dripping paws on her chest, then stretched up to lick her face. Maggie managed to avoid the first sloppy kiss but not the second.

     A piercing whistle split the air and then a deep voice commanded, "Ranger! Down! You know better than that."

     Looking unrepentant, Ranger dashed off toward his master who met his dog halfway and tossed a piece of driftwood into the surf, sending Ranger in hot pursuit.

     The stranger kept walking toward Maggie. Gone was the solemn face Maggie had observed a few moments ago. As she concentrated on his profile she realized there was something familiar about him, but couldn't quite place him.

     "Sorry about that." He offered a quick, apologetic grin. "Ranger loves the water. Hope you're not too wet. When we're down here he forgets all my wife's training."

     Maggie glanced down the beach, expecting his wife to come bounding out of the surf beside Ranger. "Don't worry. I won't say a word. I go a bit soft over dogs myself. My name is Maggie Shepard. I'm staying at the inn for the weekend. I assume you and your wife are too?"

<  6  >

     His gaze turned speculative and then brightened with recognition. "Shepard. Of course. I thought you looked familiar. Your husband's name is Brad, right? I'm Hal Logan. We spent an afternoon down here a few years ago tossing around Frisbees. You and Brad shared your sandwiches and we contributed a bottle of wine."

     "Sure. I remember now, but not your face. I'm sorry."

     "Don't be. I had a ridiculously bushy beard back then."

     Maggie laughed. "Of course. What was your wife's name? Laura? Cora?"

     A shadow swept through Hal's eyes and he stared out onto the ocean. "Nora. And no, she isn't here with me. Nora died."

     The news, delivered so bluntly, shocked Maggie into silence, had no idea what to say, struggled to find the right words, but none came.

     Hal rescued her. "It's okay. Talking about her isn't as hard as it used to be."

     Maggie wished a big hole would magically appear and swallow her up before she made an even bigger muddle of things.

     He collected himself and rescued her again, "So, hey, where's Brad? You letting him sleep in?"

     "No, nothing like that. Brad and I are divorced, for about a year now."

     "Wow, jeez, I'm sorry. I've got a few friends who're divorced and I still never know the right thing to say except – well – just the standard, I'm sorry."

     "Thanks. And I'm really sorry about your wife, Nora. I remember how nice she was."

     Hal nodded. "Yeah."

     He looked back out onto the ocean, as if its calming presence gave him solace. Another silence stretched. What else could she say to a man obviously grieving?

<  7  >

     Ranger chose that moment to burst from the foaming surf, teeth clamped around a piece of gnarled driftwood. He offered it to Maggie and the game began all over again. Three times she tossed the wood and each time the prancing dog brought it back. After the fourth throw, Ranger grabbed it and raced down the beach in the opposite direction. The dogs antics caused Maggie and Hal to burst out laughing, breaking the silence.

     "Ranger's really taken a shine to you." Hal's easy smile was back.

     "From the way he just took off, I'm not so sure."

     "He's just teasing you. He did the same with Nora. Life was always a big game with those two.

     "Early mornings were always Nora's favorite time of day. Even during those last rough months, she swore her pain wasn't as bad. Sunrise was also when she passed. For a long time afterward, I hated the sunrise because it reminded me of her. Her smile was always twice as bright and I knew I could face anything the day threw at me.

     "But this morning, watching the sun come up, I couldn't see her face as clearly as yesterday. Or the day before. It's like she's fading away." Hal sighed, shoved his hands deep into his jacket pockets and stared down at the tiny, rippling waves lapping at his shoes. "Maybe it's time to let Nora go."

     They stood there together in silence for a moment or two as the sun continued to take its rightful place in the morning sky.

     Hal turned to Maggie and said, "God! Listen to me! You probably just came down here to watch the sunrise and suddenly you're accosted by a wet, grinning mutt and some stranger going on about his dead wife."

     Maggie laughed, she couldn't help herself. "Don't apologize. Your memories about Nora were lovely, exactly what I needed to hear."

<  8  >

     Hal raised one dark brow. "How so?"

     "I've been having a rough time coming to terms with my divorce, done a lot of soul-searching and of course, feeling sorry for myself. Then there's my ongoing fear of letting go of the past and embracing life again. Luckily I have a good friend who straightened me out."

     Hal laughed. "Same thing happened to me. Do you think we have the same friend?"

     "Maybe. Cynthia has lots of friends and I wouldn't trade her for the world. Real friends are so rare."

     "Yeah, they are. But there's always room for one or two new ones, don't you think?"

     Maggie felt herself blush, his words leaving her feeling oddly happy that he'd said them.

     "It's about time I got Ranger away from the water and back to acting like the civilized dog he is. Once I get him squared away, could I interest you in a cup of Bea's five star coffee?"

     Maggie blinked, her smile brightening. "I'd like that, although I think I'm in need of something more substantial. I missed supper last night, so how about some breakfast with that coffee. I've heard raves about Bea's waffles."

     "Done. I suggest we head back to the inn before the breakfast rush."

     He offered Maggie his arm, then whistled for Ranger, who appeared from around a dune and bounded toward them, dancing and barking happily as they headed back to the inn.

 

And in the eastern horizon the sun continued to rise, its brightening rays promising a new and glorious day.

If you liked this story, please share it with others:
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
Options
- View Comments
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
SHARE
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious

Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
SHARE
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious

Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
Options
- View Comments
- Printable Version
- iPhone App
- Teaching Materials
- Mark This Story Read
- More Stories By This Author
Rate This Story
StarStarStarStarStar

View And Add Comments
Facebook
Twitter
Myspace
Windows
Delicious
Digg
Stumbleupon
Reddit
Related Stories: